Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Iron Chef Pembroke Pines: May 2011 - Spinach

It's that time again...time for another wonderfully tastefully yummy Iron Chef!!!! And this month, our hostess is Terri Metts, and the secret ingredient is: SPINACH!!!

I was very unhappy with my Iron Chef entries last month...and that was a first for me. I don't think I had ever cooked anything truly bad before. Maybe unique...but not bad. And the sad thing was that it was a REMARKABLE secret ingredient...lemon was soooo good. And everyone's food was delicious, and amazing...and mine...

well...

...mine sucked.

Anyway, I swore that this month I wouldn't make the same mistake and would stick to something that I am experienced at making and KNOW...without a shadow of a doubt...is GOOD. No new recipes...just a tried-and-true family favorite. Maybe something like "Quick Italian Spinach Pie" or "Florentine Soup".


But then I saw an ad in my Sunday coupon insert from Sorrento cheese...it was an offer to download their FREE lasagna cookbook, titled For the Love of Lasagna. There was a picture of a BEAUTIFUL slice of Spinach Lasagna...

And I just HAD to have the cookbook (if you are unaware about my cookbook needs, see this post.)...because I HAD to make that lasagna.


So I went on the website, www.greatcheese.com/lasagna ,  and downloaded my free copy. All you needed was the code, which is LOVE1. 


It's an appropriate password...because that's just what I did...fell in LOVE. 


I've never seen such gorgeous and unique lasagna creations!! There is the recipe I made for Iron chef...but oh so many more...recipes with names like: "Pumpkin and Spinach Lasagna with Bechamel Sauce", "Eggplant Ricotta Lasagna with Arrabiata Sauce", "Portobella and Pancetta with Parmesan Lasagna", and "Chicken, Roasted Fennel, and Cauliflower Lasagna".


And then there are OTHER pastas...like "Gnocchi with Italian Sausage,Mozzarella, and Rappini", or "Linguine with Herbed Ricotta and Eggplant".

And finally...ohhhh finally...there are desserts..."Chocolate Pistachio Cannoli Lasagna" and "Strawberry Grand Marnier® Lasagna".

And the pictures are gorgeous. And it's an e-booklet...so no cluttering your already burgeoning bookshelves!! So I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you download this cookbook.

And then make THIS lasagna FIRST...it's what I made for our Spinach-themed Iron Chef...

...and it completely redeemed me by winning 1st place in taste!!



My Spinach-Artichoke Lasagana!!

I was WAY too busy eating and enjoying all the wonderful conversations going on around me to take PEOPLE pictures...but I did get pictures of the food...


 Rose brought this light and airy Spinach Souffle...and I am instantly jealous because it wasn't fallen...and my souffles always deflate...


 Angel whipped up my family's FAVORITE appetizer...Spinach and Artichoke Dip (with Homemade Tortilla Chips, no less)...




Sherie made this delicious Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Spinach ...my favorite part was actually the delicious gravy that had CAPERS!!! YUM!!! 


Sherie won for Most Original...




Rachel made the COLD version of Spinach Dip...served artfully in a bread bowl with lots of things to dip...she won Best Presentation...

Incidentally, the thing I love about using bread bowls as dip containers is that after the dip is all gone...you get to rip up and eat the BREAD!!! I guess admitting that gives lots of insight as to why I've spent so amny years struggling with my weight.




Now this was our hostess with the most-ess entry...Terri made this delicious Tomato-and-Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Roulade, and in my opinion, it was a tough contender for Best Presentation. 




Bonnie played the purist role this month, and highlighted the effortless elegance of a simple Garlic Sauteed Spinach. It was divine. 




Last, but not least, Jason whipped up a family favorite...one I HAD been considering (until that fateful Sorrento ad)...Quick Italian Spinach Pie

As usual, there were some omissions...Heather made a different kind of Sauteed Spinach, but I didn't get a photo of it because she came a little later and I was already stuffing my face, and Heidi made this really delicious pasta dish with spinach and chicken and kalamata olives...and I got a picture...but no recipe...




All in all...it was a scrumptious Iron Chef. We only have one more before summer break...and it promises to be delightful...


...until then, fellow chefs...


Allez Cuisine!!

No comments: