Saturday, April 2, 2011

List-Mania

I have this compulsion...

...and no, it's not buying shoes...

...well, actually, I DO have that compulsion as well, but this isn't ABOUT that...

...this is about "lists".

I make all kinds of lists. And schedules. And routines.

Some people would say that this makes me a highly organized person.

But seeing as I only make the lists, and don't actually complete anything on them, I think it only makes me neurotic.

Now, wait...that's not entirely true...I DO complete things on my list...but usually only the things I actually WANT to do. For example, if on my list I have "Clean Bathrooms" and "Go Pick Out Shoes On-line For Spain"...

...guess which one I'm gonna do?

I don't just make lists for me...but for the whole family. I'm much better at making sure that everyone in the family follows THEIR lists, than I am on making sure that I follow MINE.

For example...this list hangs on my front door. It's a list AND a little reminder for our family everytime we step out into the big, bad world...


That one is sweet...but posted in three VERY DISTINCT spots in my house is the business side of momma...and that goes something like this:

Rules...

And this:

Josephs Morning Routine
Savannah, Brigham, and Nicolettes Morning Routine

All the kids Afternoon Routine
I also have more business-like reminders posted around, and not just little love notes...

Posted right on the kitchen cabinet...
And then there is my fridge, which holds my menu (which I've written about before)...

Dinner Time!!
...and the "Chore Chart"...which is a bit fancier, because it's laminated, and I can rotate the kids names around so they have different chores every week...

I still have to remind them DAILY...

I think making lists is genetic, because my Mom makes them, too...except she's uber-self competitive and actually finishes her lists...even if it takes her half the night. She even made a list for me...kinda like a chore chart...except it's for Family Home Evening. I know every stalwart LDS family has one of these, but I'm really glad my Mom made me one...even if it IS yet another list...

At least it's CUTE!!!
This next item goes with things that are not quite lists, but are still posted all over my house.

I always have random quotes stuck in places...on my mirror...on my windshield...in my purse. They change with my mood...sometimes appealing to my religious side (such as: "Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up" )...or my artistic side (such as: "Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting with the gift of speech")...or sometimes just my ornery side (such as: "Be the kind of woman that when she rolls out of bed in the morning, the Devil says: "Oh shit...she's up.")...

Right now it is more inspirational...reminding me to just be me...and nobody else...


Anyway...the point of this lengthy and pointless blog is to say that sometimes...I just get carried away with the whole list "isshh-you" (name that animated feature)...

...today was one of those days...

I had to make a list for both myself and Jason to organize our weekend tasks...and I got a wee bit carried away.

Mine isn't so bad...


It says:


Lady Shannans List of Things to Accomplish

1.     Clean the filthy dwelling

2.     Make a list for victuals and necessities for our larder

3.     Organize an activity for Young Ladies of the Scouts with which to earn an emblem

4.     Plan educationally stimulating activities for the young masters and misses of the household with which to entertain their summer months

5.     Assist in the gathering of materials for the Family Home Evening with Miss Nicolette

6.     Record random thoughts and musings on the electronic journal

7.     Plan geocaching event for family on Monday


Hey!! I actually got half of number 1 (which is amazing...because it was exactly what I DIDN'T want to do), and I am in the process of completing number 6!! Cool!!


Then I made one for Jason...




It says:



Pirate Captain Jasons List of Things To Plunder

1.             First and foremost…plunder The Red-Headed Mistress of thee heart…good and often

2.           Create a log of expenses and incomes with which to manage the ship

3.           Estimate the debts to be paid and treasures and provisions to purchase with the loot returned to the ship from the government

4.         Assist in leading a treasure hunt for the crew to prevent mutiny




I posted it on his dresser after he left for work...so he won't find it until he comes home tonight.


Think he'll like it?

I know most guys don't really like when their wives make them "honey-do" lists...but I really don't think I'll have a problem with #1...

No comments: