Sunday, February 27, 2011

Crazy Girl Scout Weekend...

I had a crazy Girl Scout weekend this weekend...with activities every day of the weekend.

On Friday night, we had Thinking Day...a world-wide celebration of the Girl Scout/Girl Guide movement where girls think about and celebrate their "sisters" all over the world. This year, our troop had a booth...we represented Spain (gee...wonder who picked THAT country?).

Our board for Thinking Day...


Other troops made booths with other countries, and the girls traveled around from booth to booth with a "passport"...they got stamps in it from the various countries represented and had the opportunity to buy SWAPS and food samples and learn about Girl Scouts from the country being represented.

My Daisy World Travelers...

My Junior World travelers...

That night, the girls also participated in a massive service project assembling hundreds of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to distribute to our local homeless community.


It's a PB&J mess for a GOOD CAUSE!!

The next day, my Juniors visited Old Davie Schoolhouse to get started on their Bronze Award project...helping Old Davie identify and correctly label several fruit trees they have planted on property.

Can you guess the  trees just by this blossom?

We were lucky to visit during Davie's Orange Blossom Festival and Rodeo, and get to see the schoolhouse in action...serving the community by offering educational experiences and allowing people to learn about what it was like to live in Florida during different time periods.

The docents taught the girls about pioneer life in Florida...

...and prepared delicious food for them to feast upon!!

That evening, my Junior troop attended a big council activity called Mall Madness...a lock-in at a mall.

Ready to shop till we drop!! (literally)

 It's attended by 2,500 Girl Scouts of all ages (yes...that IS NOT a typo...two-thousand-five-hundred)...stores stay open so the girls can shop all night long (it runs from 10pm until 5am), there are DJ's, bounce houses, rock walls, bungee jumpers, craft tables, henna tattoos, face painting, games and scavenger hunts...and did I mention the shopping?

Getting our shop on at ALL the little girl favorites...Justice, the Gap, and Claires!!

 I had a cancellation at the last minute, and so I took Nicolette as a replacement. She had a BLAST...and kept up with the big girls. In fact, some of my older girls passed out...but Nicolette never slowed...she had her ears pierced at Claires at 3:30am, and could be found dancing ON THE STAGE at 4:40am.

Nicolette holds my hand in anticipation of the pain...but she never cried or yelped!!

Look at my big all-grown-up girl with PIERCED EARS!!

 We had a lot of fun...it was better than I expected...although still too expensive for my tastes...but I imagine that we WILL be doing it again...

Now it's early Sunday morning...and I have to get ready for church, come home and bake cakes and clean, and then attend a Missionary Homecoming Open House. I haven't slept in 24 hours...and it doesn't look like I'll be sleeping anytime soon...

No rest for the wicked?

Well...if it's wicked to be a Girl Scout leader...then the answer is: "YES!!"

No comments: