Friday, March 11, 2011

Sand in My Britches...

I have been posting so much about stuff that's going on in our lives, and it's all very interesting and pertinent to those of you who actually read and follow this blog...

...but it's been awhile since I've posted something random.

And this morning, as we are dealing with some family issues, and watching the crisis unravel in Japan...I felt like posting something fun...

...frivolous, even...

...not to make light of anyone's misfortune...but just to give me something to do that doesn't involve worry and sadness and fear.

I was inspired by thinking of all the "treasures" in our lives. When one faces a crisis, one always asks themselves: "What will it cost me? What will I lose?"

We take a personal inventory of all that we value...and discover what we truly treasure.

Now I know, and you know, that the only treasures that truly matter are people...everything else is just...well..."things". "Things" have only the value we place on them , and that value varies from person to person.

I admit that I like "things". I'm not overly obsessed with possessing stuff (unless we are talking about shoes...and then I freely admit that I have a problem), but I do like to have possessions.

However, my most cherished "things" are not the most expensive, or the most useful, or the most beautiful.

I have a couple unique collections in my house, and one that I am most proud of is my collection of sand.

I try to get sand from every place we visit. Not necessarily each and every beach (good golly...I'd have thousands of samples!!), but from each place.

Additionally, I try to get friends and family who travel to bring me ziploc baggies, or an empty water bottle, filled with sand.

Most of the time, they forget. They're so excited to be on vacation, getting sand for me is the last thing on their minds.

Hey...even I forget...I came back from Maui without a single sample...not even any in the bottom of my suitcase.

But sometimes, they remember...and because of that, I've gotten some great samples.

I'd like to share my favorites with you...

Waikiki Beach, O'ahu, Hawaii

This sand was collected for me by my friend Michelle Marlowe on her visit to Hawaii...so even though I didn't get any sand from Maui...I do have SOME from Hawaii...

Baokes Beach, Naples, Florida

I collected A LOT of this sand over the years...I love it because it is so fine...like sugar...

North Hollywood Beach, Hollywood, Florida
Look how different the sand is from just across the state!! Rough, grainy...with lots and lots of broken shells...

Fat Zachary Beach, Key West

I especially love the NAME of this beach...my good friend Jenn brought it back for me from one of her families escapades to the Keys.

Savannah finding the bottle...in the beautiful, crystal clear water...

And the bottle is one that Savannah found at the bottom of the ocean at Bill Baggs State Beach on Key Biscayne...it is engraved with words/measurements in French...so I think it is an especially cool find...


See? There it is...put to good use!!

I wish all my bottles were that cool!!

La Jolla Shores, San Diego, California

My dear sister-in-law, Tara, sent me this sand from one of their favorite beaches on HER side of the coast...it helps me not forget that I am a California girl at heart...

Fifa Beach, Phucket Island, Thailand
This is one of my ultimate favorites...my brother-in-law, Don, got this for me while his ship was docked in Thailand (he's in the Navy). It was my most favorite surprise ever.


I especially love the little cylindrical shell/coral thingy that came with the sand...a total bonus!! Phucket Island is on Jason and my bucket list...we have a large photo of part of the island hanging in our house...

Our inspiration picture to get us to travel more...


See? Isn't it beautiful? I know Don was there to work...but I still think he's SUPER LUCKY to have gotten the chance to go!!

Red Sea, Jordan

 Here's another favorite...but I can't tell you who got it for me, because he/she would get in trouble. I don't know the beach...or any other details. It's all very clandestine...

...well, perhaps not QUITE as clandestine as I'm making it...but it's so much more fun to imagine that there was intrigue and danger involved in getting me a sample of sand from the Red Sea in Jordan...even though I'm sure it was a very simple matter...


I especially love the little stone that came with...smooth and polished...with just a slight rosy tint.

It's a VERY small amount, and for the longest time, I had nothing to put it in. But then we went to Maui, and one of the gifts we received was a basket of bath luxuries, and in it was this little bottle of bath salts. As soon as it was used, I cleaned it up, found a cork, and added it to my collection.

So, I may not have brought back any actual sand from Maui...but it wasn't a TOTAL loss as far as my collection is concerned!!

Clearwater Beach, Clearwater, Florida
My friend Jenn got this for me Up North...from the part of Florida where she originally hails. Like the Naples sand...it is smooth and fine. I wonder if all Gulf Coast sand is like that?



I love the little tags on my bottles...they make my collection more fun, I think...especially when there are terribly interesting places listed...


It makes it so much more than crushed rock in a pretty bottle...it turn the sand into actual stories...

This is a sampling of my strange little collection of sand. I hope you enjoyed viewing it as much as I enjoyed sharing it.

If you happen to travel anywhere with a beach...try to remember to grab me some. It doesn't have to be salt water...and it doesn't even have to have water (Anyone passing by the Death Valley, Great Salt Lake, or the Dead Sea?). I'll happily add it to my collection and give you the credit...

...unless, of course, you are an international double-0-something spy who can't be indentified as a collector of sand...



...in that case...your secret is safe with me...

No comments: