Friday, July 4, 2008

My obsession

Okay guys...confession time. A little break from the summer school lesson plans and on to something even MORE important. An event so important that it is written on every calender and every date planner I have. So important, I've canceled all evening activities for a SOLID WEEK to indulge in it. It is....

THE RETURN OF AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER ON NICKELODEON!!!!



I know, I know. It's a cartoon. For kids. But I am TOTALLY hooked!!!! I LOVE Avatar!! I own the collector's Edition box Sets from Seasons 1 and 2. And the week of July 14 - through July 19 is the Finale! And then I'll be destined to suffer until Summer 2010 and the live action movies directed by M. Night Shalayman come out.


My family is "concerned" about my involvement. Using "Avatar-speak" and quoting the characters lines and movements made people laugh, daily checking to make sure the TiVo is set was viewed as quirky, re-scheduling all activities to accomodate un-spoiled viewing time is eyebrow-raising, joining the Avatar Spirit on-line fan site was met with nervous laughter and sideways glances, and scanning the web for spoiler leaks is down-right obsessesive. I'm totally shipping for Kataang...


(and if you don't know what that means, that's okay...or you're a Zutara shipper and that's just WRONG!!!).

I wish I was a waterbender (Katara ROCKS)...



And I have a little of a crush on Zuko (although I still want Kataang).



I think my obsession stems from a love of animation and am a big fan of Miyazaki Anime. I love all things Asian (food, art, and culture). And I love storytelling...and I truly believe that Avatar is an AMAZING story. With all the crappy, violent, pointlessly rude and disgusting cartoons available to kids these days (I HATE Sponge Bob, and have blocked all access to Cartoon Network), it is just so absolutely fabulous to have a cartoon that has a message and a soul, as well as amazing animation.

I know I'm not alone. There are more obsessed adults than kids when it comes to this show. But the audience spans across the ages...my kids love it as much as I do, and even my dad, who is 67 years old, will be watching the three-year-old saga come to an end Saturday Night. So to all those who have discovered and loved Avatar...I am excited, anxious, and saddened that it is about to come to an end. And I am curious, anticipatory, and excited to see it come to LIFE.

To all my fellow psycho fans...LONG LIVE AVATAR!!! (check the YouTube link)

Dreaming of waterbending,
Shannan
Keeper of Momo's dance music
Keeper of Irohs solider Boy song
Keeper of "The Kiss" (take that, Zutara shippers!!!)

No comments: